What documents do I need for hiring a van?

We want to make your experience with hiring a van from Euro Van Hire as straightforward as possible. So, for you to be able to drive your Volkswagen van rental on the road, it is imperative that you have these documents with you on the day.

Driving Licence

You will need a current full driving licence that has been held for a minimum of 12 months. If you hold a Non EU driving licence, please see whether you are eligible to drive in the UK as restrictions are in place for Non EU residents who have resided in the UK for more than 12 months.

Driving licences that are accepted are a photocard licence, or an old paper licence. As of June 2015, the driving licence paper counterpart was abolished and you must not bring this as it is not valid.

Driving Record Authorisation Code

In order for us to view your driving record information, we need your DVLA authorisation code. It is free to get, and your code is valid for 21 days. You will need to print out the ‘driver summary’ and show this when you come to get your Volkswagen van. Either the driver summary or authorisation code must be shown when you come to Euro Van Hire.


You will also need two additional forms of identification, these may include utility bills, debit/credit card statements, council tax bills etc that are up to 8 weeks old. If you hold a non photocard driving licence, you will need to bring a passport.

Credit or Debit Card

Please don’t forget to bring your credit or debit card! These are required to pay the rental charge upon collection (as well as the £350.00 deposit). Payments are taken as a pre-authorised sum from a debit/credit card.